- Your Government
- Health & Zoning
Health & Zoning
The Public Health Sanitarian is a registered Sanitarian with special training in environmental health. The Sanitarian is responsible to the County Board of Health and receives consultation from the Iowa Department of Health and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
- Act as an environmental advisor for other circumstances that would affect public health
- Advisory and educational services
- Enforce Chapter 38 "Private Water Well Construction" and issue permits
- Enforce Chapter 39 "Requirements for Properly Plugging Abandoned Wells"
- Enforce Chapter 49 "Non-Public Water Wells"
- Enforce Chapter 69 "On-site Wastewater Treatment and Disposal Systems
- Enforce Section 567 "On-site Waste Disposal Systems"
The administrator is the executive officer of the zoning process. It is their duty to enforce the County comprehensive zoning ordinance by checking proposed construction or uses for compliance, and to take appropriate action against those who violate the ordinance. They are responsible to the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Board of Adjustment. All persons proposing construction, re-construction, alteration, use of or change of use, should first contact the Zoning Administrator to determine the application of the ordinance to their proposals.
- Enforce the county's comprehensive zoning ordinance
- Enforce the county's flood plain ordinance
- Executive officer for Board of Adjustment
- Executive officer for Planning and Zoning Commission
- Issue building permits
- Schedule meetings of Planning and Zoning Commission and Board of Adjustment
View a schedule of fees for building permits of all kinds in Clayton County.
Permits & Applications
View and download building and zoning permit applications.