Assemble Your Kit
To be prepared for an emergency, pack a bag with items listed below and store it in a convenient location. You may want to make several kits to have at home, at work, and at the office.
- Copies of important documents (keep in waterproof container) including:
- Driver's license, birth certificates, Social Security Card, passport, financial information (bank account and credit card numbers), insurance policies, and will
- Extra blankets and clothing (including shoes)
- First Aid Kit-including: Bandages, anti-bacterial ointment, scissors, and non-prescription drugs such as aspirin or other pain relievers and antacids
- Plates, cups, utensils and a can opener
- Sanitary Supplies-including: Soap, moist towelettes, toilet paper, personal hygiene items, diapers, and garbage bags
- Specialty items such as prescription medications, baby formula, and pet supplies
- Tools and Supplies-including: Basic tools, battery-operated radio, flashlight and extra batteries
- Water and food to maintain your family for three days. One gallon of water a day per person. Food should be non-perishable.
- A whistle to signal for help
After Assembling Your Kit
- Store the kit in a place known to all household members.
- Review the contents of your kit periodically to make sure food and water are fresh.
- Make sure stored prescription medicines are up-to-date.