The mission of the Clayton County Sheriff's Department is to enhance the quality of life for the citizens of Clayton County by professionally working in partnership to provide safety, security and service to the community while upholding the constitutional responsibilities of the Office of Sheriff.
The County Sheriff is elected to four-year terms. The County Sheriff along with the County Attorney are chiefly responsible for enforcement of laws. The County maintains a jail which the County Sheriff supervises. Some of the duties of the County Sheriff are as follows:
- Assist other law enforcement agencies
- Custodian of the county jail and is responsible for all prisoners committed to him until discharged by law
- Execute and return all writs and other legal processes issued to him by lawful authorities
- Patrol all roads in the county
- Principal peace officer in the county
- Summon grand and petit jurors
- Upon commitment from the Clerk of District Court, transport convicts to the penitentiary and patients to the state hospitals for the insane
View and/or download applications and forms such as the Clayton County Electronic Application, Key Holder Form, and Inmate Work Release Contract.
Learn more about the different divisions that make up the Clayton County Sheriff's Office.
View and apply for jobs with the Clayton County Sheriff's Office.
View a list of fees for services such as Accident Reports, Fingerprints, Prisoner Room and Board, and more.
The Clayton County Sheriff's Office handles all the radio communication and dispatching for all the Law Enforcement, Fire Department's, and Emergency Medical Services.
Learn more about your Clayton County Sheriff, Mike Tschirgi.
If you know the whereabouts of any of these subjects please contact your local law enforcement or the Clayton County Sheriff's Office at 563-245-2422.
View news releases and updates from your County Sheriff's Office.
View notifications of upcoming Sheriff's Sales, complete with descriptions of items or property to be sold.
Learn more about Drug Education, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Gun Permitting training.
Each month Sheriff Tschirgi gives an update on Clayton County Law Enforcement, view his updates on this page.